Monday, September 27, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I’ll admit it. When I first picked up this book, I was convinced that it was going to be an easy and quite forgettable read. Here’s something else I’ll admit: I was wrong. There I was on a raft in my pool getting my worst sunburn of the summer season, all because I could not put this book down. I was sucked into Katniss Everdeen’s life. Katniss lives in a place that was once America, which she knows as Panem. Living in the Twelfth and poorest district of Panem, Katniss has led a difficult life. Her one hope is that her younger sister Prim will not have to struggle to survive as Katniss has. So when Prim’s name is called by lottery for the annual Hunger Games, a game in which a boy and girl from each of the twelve districts must compete to the death, Katniss immediately takes Prim’s place. Now Katniss must not only protect her family, but herself as she not only competes against other contestants, but the corrupt government that runs the games – the Capitol. Suzanne Collin’s does an excellent job of making Katniss Everdeen not only badass, but believable. She created an entire world that is well thought out and completely consistant. I could barely finish this book before I was scrambling the get the sequal: Catching Fire. 90%.

1 comment:

  1. I entirely agree, this book was fabulous. HOWEVER, I did have nightmares after it. I am in possession of the sequel, but I have yet to pick it up for fear of another sleepless night. Perhaps I will wait until closer to Halloween, when I'm in the mood to be freaked-the-heck-out.

    If I had to characterize this book, I would call it "1984 meets Lord of the Flies"

    ReplyDelete