Monday, October 11, 2010

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Let me start of this review with a confession: I have a weird, extreme intrigue in school shootings. Now, before you say to yourself, ‘holy crap is this chick going to shoot up my school?!’, let me tell you that this intrigue in school shootings is because I’ve always been terrified it will happen to me. I’ve had nightmares about it happening to me in high school (even though I’ve graduated), or at work, or any crowded dwellings. Is this irrational? Yes. Does this have anything to do with this review? Again, yes. Because of my, uh, interest in shootings, I’ve read a few books on them (you may refer back to the Jodi Picoult post for an example). However, none of the books I’ve read can even compare to David Cullen’s ‘Columbine’.
            Let’s start with the obvious: this book is about the shootings of Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado. Cullen not only gives you the second by second path of destruction made by Eric Harris and Dylan Kebold, but he goes deeper into the psychosis of the situation. If ever in the future you have any questions about what happened that day, the days leading up to it, or what became of the families, David Cullen is your man. He was not only at Columbine that awful day, but he has spent the last decade researching every last spec of information that has been somewhat related to Columbine. He’s poured over the boy’s journals (which he shares copies of some of the pages), spoken with families, victims, townspeople, psychologists, FBI agents… the list goes on.
            What I really like about Cullen’s book is that he lets you know from the beginning that there are several complete distinctions between the two boys. You cannot look at them as one entity but rather as two separate boys who did it for different reasons. And he has the facts to back it up. I also liked that he gives you different perspectives: how it felt for the victims, the law enforcement working on the case, the boy’s families, the media (and therefore the nation)…etc. He also discusses how the events at Columbine had single-handedly changed: school policies across the country, security protocols, and police tactics, and more. Although it’s known famously, Cullen shines a whole new light on Columbine.
            Being a reporter, Cullen can tell a story with ease and great composure. I’ll be the first to admit that this book is lengthy, but I didn’t want to put it down once. This is definitely not a light read, so keep that in mind if you ever pick it up. If you’re looking for something serious and in-depth then this is the book for you! 91%


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the really kind words on my book. I appreciate your help spreading the word, too.

    For readers who are unsure about diving into such a dark subject, this short video summarizes the book, the Columbine shooting and the killers’ motives in three minutes. And there's more info at my Columbine site.

    I am very close to a complete redone Instructor Guide. We have a beta version up on the site this week. I'm working on the student guide.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cullen , who first reported on the story for the online magazine Salon, acknowledges in the book's source notes that thoughts he attributes to Klebold and Harris are conjecture gleaned from the record the pair left behind.

    Jeff Kass takes a more straightforward approach in "Columbine: A True Crime Story," working backward from the events of the fateful day.
    The Denver Post

    Mr. Cullen insists that the killers enjoyed "far more friends than the average adolescent," with Harris in particular being a regular Casanova who "on the ultimate high school scorecard . . . outscored much of the football team." The author's footnotes do not reveal how he knows this; when I asked him about it while preparing this review, Mr. Cullen said he did not necessarily mean to imply that Harris was sexually active. But what else would such words mean?

    "Eric and Dylan never had any girlfriends," the more sober Mr. Kass writes, and were "probably virgins upon death."
    Wall Street Journal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post and blog, darling!

    Glad you like my bday booties :)

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete